Sunday, November 29, 2009

Back to School my 5C Turkeys!

Thanksgiving4a
Hello, 5C! I hope you all had a wonderful break from school, lots of yummy food and fun with family and friends. I ate so much great Thanksgiving food during our break that you might have to roll me around our room tomorrow! You won't mind, will you? It has been so long since my last post on our blog, I have lots to catch our families up on. Here is goes...

We have finished our ITBS testing! Yeah! 5C did a super job of staying focused and giving 100% effort on all tests! I think they were relieved when they finished their last test. I felt the same way because with our testing complete, we could finally get back to work in the classroom.

We had a wonderful turnout for our American Education Week celebration. Thank you to all families who attended. I hope you enjoyed returning to an elementary classroom and spending time with your 5C student!

We hit mid-quarter a couple of weeks ago! Wow! We only have about three and a half weeks of the quarter left and so much to do! Here is a little run-down of what has been happening in class this quarter. In reading we are finally getting into book clubs. The students seem to all enjoy the books they are reading and are constantly working on their ideas for their "Think Fights". Don't forget 5C - your next "Think Fight" will be a surprise - be prepared! In writing, students are working in various stages of the writing process on their second quarter writing piece, due before Christmas break. In word study, we have been studying various word endings and how they may or may not change the spelling of the base word. We have also been studying strategies that help us spell, such as visualizing the words we write. In math, we just finished Unit 3: Geometry and the American Tour. We will begin working on Unit 4: Division this week! In science, students are continuing their study of rocks and in social studies, they have been working on map skills.

Parents - Some of you have seen a blue "Character Counts Communique" come home with your student this quarter. Mrs. Halverson, Mrs. Sorenson and I have decided to use this form as a tool to let families know when their student has not completed an assignment on time. If your student receives one of these forms and you would like to discuss the problem with me, please feel free to contact me. It is my hope that as the year progresses, our responsibility will continue to grow and these blue forms will no longer be necessary. 

5C - as we get closer to the end of the second quarter and another report card, keep in mind that my expectations for your behavior, both in and out of class, increase. Responsibility has been a problem for some of you this quarter. It is your job to be the best student you can possibly be. Show me that you are continuing to work on this pillar of character.

Enjoy your last day of break! See you bright and early!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs.Kuhn, i like the blog so ar and i am NOT rolling you around the class room Tomarro!!!!! you forgot that 5a and 5b would to!!! well i just back from arkansas at like 6 pm did you all miss me on wenesday? c u tomaro

    ReplyDelete